In this workshop with Tom McCook you will gain experiential knowledge and practical understanding of the relationship between the spine and the shoulder girdle in movement to support healthy movement and life-long well being. Tom will blend a Franklin Method lesson on the Spine and Shoulder Girdle with related Pilates equipment repertoire for optimal learning and skill development. This workshop will help you to understand movement and effective cuing in a whole new way! You’ll expand your understanding through touch, movement and lecture, the bone and muscle relationships of the shoulder girdle and spine. Specifically, where movement actually happens in the spine and how to use touch, imagery and movement to improve function. This is essential for tension release, postural improvements, strength, flexibility and greater efficiency of movement. We will combine the lessons with related Franklin Method ball exercises, corrective mat exercises and Pilates repertoire on the Tower, Reformer and Chair for health and performance. These is essential learning for both students and teachers lifelong wellness. CECs available!
Techniques Included Essential For
• Pilates Teachers
• Pilates students
• Movement educators
• Massage Therapists
• Physical Therapists
• Athletes looking to create more balance in their spine, shoulder girdle and posture. This relates to Golfers, Swimmers, Cyclists, all racket sports. This also relates to working professionals sitting for long hours at a desk. These correctives and ball exercises will be very helpful to improve posture, improve spinal health and well being.
• The design of the shoulder girdle
• The design of the spine
• Where movement happens in the spine
• The different orientation of the facet joints
• Movement and self touch of the shoulder girdle and spine
• Corrective exercises on the mat for the spine and shoulders
• Hands on corrections for each exercise
• Specific exercises on the Reformer, Tower and Chair for spinal and shoulder girdle balance and conditioning